Metal Detecting. Beach and Land Metal detecting!

Metal detecting uk. Beach and Land metal detecting.

This is a blog of my finds and experiences as a metal detector in the South East of England.

This blog features tips and advice for beginners, as well as being an archive of my most favourite finds and experiences as a metal detectorist around these parts. Excellent resource sites are also featured here.


Saturday 26 January 2013

Getting tired when metal detecting?


When I read about the guys in the forums doing eight our hunts, I used to weep.

I never understood how these guys that are double my age could go for so long (oo'er!), and how I couldn't.  I came to the conclusion that it must be experience, and  all I needed to do was persevere, to eventually gain the acquired fitness.

Bad move.

All this did was make me even more tired.  No matter how hard I persevered.

See, people don't understand how taxing metal detecting can be.  You walk for miles, digging holes, getting up, going down.  Walk some more.  Dig.  Etc.  And it is that common misconception that caused me to become so exhausted when metal detecting.  On the outside, metal detecting looks peaceful (and it is once you understand how to pace yourself!) calm.  Literally a walk in the park.

But it isn't until you understand the very simple concept of rest.

That is literally what allowed me to detect for much longer times.  I decided to rest every two hours for 15 minutes.  In that 15 minutes, I had a bite to eat (something that gives energy.  I normally have bananas or a chocolate bar) and made sure I was well hydrated.  Hydration is VERY important for us metal detectorists, because as soon as you become dehydrated, you've had it.  I normally take a bottle of water with me, and sometimes (if its cold) a nice flask of tea.  A cup of tea whilst detecting really sorts me out.

In my over zealousness and perceived youth, I made the mistake of thinking I didn't need to rest and refresh.  If you're having a similar problem, just get yourself a rucksack, a good water bottle, and a flask.  Oh, and if it's sunny, don't forget to put Sun tan lotion in the bath as well!

I normally don't carry the rucksack with me, as it can become a burden after a while, that seems to exhaust more.  I normally leave it in a bush, or on the ground, where I can use it as a marker.  Or, if my car is close, I will leave it there, and walk back to it when I need a break.

Hope the information helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment